Did you see GMA-7 reporter Tina Panganiban Perez’s interview with Imelda Marcos last night?
From that interview, we could conclude that in Imelda’s world, the following are inalienable truth:
- Martial Law gave us not only freedom, justice, and democracy but also dignity and identity.
- The dictator’s reign was peaceful.
- Imelda was never extravagant.
- Martial Law was one of the greatest periods in Philippine history.
On the other hand, these are fiction:
- Tens of thousands of detractors of marcos were jailed, tortured and executed without due process. Human rights were violated.
- The freedom of expression, including the freedom of the press was curtailed.
- Ferdinand Marcos plundered between five and 10 billion dollars from the national coffers and left us in poverty.
- The Marcos regime left huge debts that we are still paying until now.
- Martial Law instituted a culture of lies and corruption.
Image from Guardian Unlimited @ Guardian Newspapers Limited 2004