Don’t the enemies of press freedom get tired?
The National Union of Journalists of the Philippines today reported another killing of a radio announcer in Sorsogon City this morning.
Reports received by NUJP say Ricardo “Ding” Uy of DZRS-AM in Sorsogon City was shot by a lone gunman his house.
“Whatever the motive of Uy’s killing, we condemn it as dastardly act against a citizen, a member of media and against press freedom,” said Jose Torres Jr., chairman of NUJP’s Commission for the Protection of Journalists.
Uy’s death brought to seven the number of journalists killed in the Philippines this year.
Other journalists killed this year on NUJP’s list:
1. Edgar Amoro, Freelance broadcaster, Pagadian City, February 2
2. Arnulfo Villanueva, Asian Star Express Balita, Naic, Cavite, February 28
3. Marlene Garcia Esperat, The Midland Review, Tacurong City, March 24
4. Klein Cantoneros, DXAA-FM, Dipolog City, May 4
5. Philip Agustin, Starline Times Recorder, Dingalan, Aurora, May 10
6. Rolando Morales, DWMD-Radio Mindanao Network, South Cotabato, July 3